Poole Stadium is owned by Poole Council, but has been administered by Stadia UK Ltd since 1995 when they started on a stadium refurbishment that included the building of the all-glass West Stand, Situated close to the centre of town, the stadium is one of the best appointed provincial stadiums in the U.K., boasting a 300 seat Gallery restaurant, Grandstand seating for 1200 spectators, Three bars and several fast food outlets.
Poole Stadium Goes International
As well as staging league speedway meetings, Poole stadium has also hosted many of the world’s top individual and team championships, including the final of the 2004 FIM Speedway World Cup.
Speedway racing has been staged at the Stadium since April 1948, when the Poole Pirates took to the Wimborne Road raceway for the first time. The sport soon became the town’s number one sporting attraction bringing in fans from all parts of the county.
The original circuit measured 384 metres (420 yards) and was cinder surfaced up until the beginning of the 1950 season when it was relaid with red shale in line with a Speedway Control Board directive. It stayed in use until the autumn of 1959 when Poole Council signed a twenty year lease for the rebuilding and management of the Stadium with Southern Sporting Promotions Ltd, a Southampton based company which promoted greyhound and speedway racing. The company directors were C.J. Knott snr, C.J. Knott jnr, J Knott, and Charles R Foot.
The company took over the day to day running of Poole stadium during October 1959 and immediately started to rebuild and modernise the Stadium site, including the installation of a new 347.5 metre (380 yard) speedway race track. Work was carried out during the winter and was completed in time for the Stadium re-opening on 15 June 1960.
July 1990 saw the end of racing on the 347.5 metre (380 yard) track due to Poole Town FC needing a wider pitch in order for them to be accepted into the Beazer Homes Premier League. A new track measuring 371 metres (405 yards) was laid almost on top of the original track at a cost estimated at £50,000.
It was modified during 1994 when the length was reduced to 362 metres (396 yards) and racing continued on this circuit until the end of the 1995 season when work started on the new, FIM approved, 299.1 metre (327 yard ) raceway. This was carried out by local contractors Burt and Vick, in association with John Hector and Peter Ansell of Poole Speedway.
With five different size circuits at Poole stadium since 1948 there are several different track records, some of which will stand for all time.
|384 metre||Cinder surface||74.6||Arthur Forrest||Halifax||17.10.1949|
|384 metre||Shale surface||69.00||Ove Fundin||Norwich||09.06.1958|
|347.5 metre||Shale surface||62.4||Leigh Adams||Poole||18.04.1989|
|371 metre||Shale surface||63.3||Hans Nielsen||Coventry||28.07.1993|
|362 metre||Shale surface||64.04||Lars Gunnestad||Poole||26.07.1995|
|299.1 metre||Shale surface||56.91||Antonio Lindback||Poole||14.06.2006|